History of the Society
The Genesee County Historical Society has been connecting people to the past by collecting, preserving and sharing our local history.
Since its organization in 1915, the Society has acquired meaningful historical artifacts, including photos, documents, apparel, household and business related items from the people throughout Genesee County. Our vast collections became the basis for the Sloan Museum when it opened in 1965.
Since transferring its collections to the Sloan Museum, historic preservation has been one of the main goals of the Society. We raised funds and oversaw the restoration of the Durant-Dort Carriage Company Historic Landmark which we now call home. We contributed the first $1,000 toward Crossroads Village and was one of the Founding organizations and financial supporters of the Whaley Historical House. We supported the creation of the Flushing Historical Society, Fenton Historical Society, and the Grand Blanc Historical Society and continue a relationship with all historical societies in the County. We collaborated with the Greater Flint Arts Council to restore the Vernors Mural which lead to the Arts Council creating their home in that building. With funding from the Ruth Mott Foundation we oversaw a Downtown Façade Program with the Community Foundation of Greater Flint.